MikroTik - Pro Grade Routers for Your Home
Meet the router that network engineers buy for themselves
For years, I have been using mainstream routers, like Asus, Netgear, TP-Link. They used to break down often, WI-FI was weak, their operating systems were clunky, bloated and with broken Engrish texts that were probably translated from Chinese by a trained monkey.
This was until I started working as systems engineer in a team that was focused on operating a large website. A couple of guys there used to work in large data centers, handling network equipment for thousands of servers. They knew their shit.
After getting fed up with my latest mainstream router (Netgear Nighthawk), which started getting stuck when I was downloading big files, and I had to reboot it multiple times per day just to get my internet connection working, I asked one of those guys for advice. The guy (who currently works as engineer for Uber), told without any hesitation: “get a MikroTik”. “A micro what now?”, I thought. Then I started researching, and got amazed.
I ended up buying this beast, for the same price as my Netgear, but with 8 times more network ports, and boy, does their RouterOS kick ass.
Just look at this screenshot below. No gimmicks, just configuration.
From that day, all my networking hardware is exclusively MikroTik, and I just cannot be happier.
Also, one important note about WI-FI. If you live in a small, single room apartment, then you can benefit from 5Ghz frequency, but it is terrible at penetrating walls and obstacles, so if you live in a house, stick with 2.4Ghz, and you will feel the difference in connection strength.
Mainstream routers love to promote how fast they are over 5Ghz, skipping the fact that this speed is only achieved in same room, and just walk to second floor and you’ll be crying because of packet loss.
Finally, here is the list of MikroTik products for your home.
Mikrotik CRS125-24G-1S-2HnD-IN, Cloud Router Gigabit Switch, Fully manageable Layer 3, 24x 10/100/1000, 1000mW Wireless
4.2 out of 5 stars, 35 customer reviews
- Cloud Router Switch is Smart Switch series, It combines the best features of a fully functional router and a Layer 3 switch, is powered by the familiar RouterOS, All the specific Switch configuration options are available in a special Switch menu, but if you want, ports can be removed from the switch configuration, and used for routing purposes
- What more, this device has a built in 2, 4GHz wireless access point, this means you can have an AP, a router with any number of ports, and a full wire speed smart switch, all in one device ideal for medium/small businesses and offices
- It has 24 Gigabit ports, one SFP cage, a microUSB port and a built in Wireless AP
- Ethernet, Fiber, or 4G (with optional USB modem) gateway connection to Internet, RouterOS gateway/firewall/VPN router with passive cooling
- Perfect SOHO gateway router, switch, 11n AP all in one box, 1000mW high power 2, 4GHz 11n wireless AP
Almost all I expected.
This is a great full featured product, but you get what you pay for. The switching fabric of this is maxed out on me with 2 devices at 120ish Mbps. My old router plus switch in the same test was 170ish but had more cores and faster cpu plus was a cisco switch.
On the plus side it uses much much less power than my old setup. My old one was around 300+ watts this is only 19.
I docked 1 star for the lower performance. On a side note, mine came constantly power cycling out of the box. Did a firmware update from 3.10 to 3.19 and went away. Then I updated RouterOS 6.6 to current.
Out of the box it will act like any consumer router
Out of the box it will act like any consumer router. Configuration takes a little bit to get used to if you're not familiar, but the community and wiki make up for it. Only negative is that LAN DNS records via DHCP isn't supported out of box, but a simple script/cron job will fix that with a fast google.
Highly configurable switch, router, and wireless device
MikroTik products are not for the faint of heart or networking beginners. The operating system, RouterOS allows you to do things you cannot do with a standard home router. It supports IPv6 tunneling, VPN tunnels, VLAN tagging, SNMP monitoring, routing protocols such as OSPF and BGP. If you are looking for a device that can do it all, this is worth looking at.
In the tests that I have run, this device will forward packets at full line rate, full duplex gigabit between the ports, at layer 2. When routing between subnets, the throughput drops significantly. While not a big deal, it is something to keep in mind when configuring the network.
It is very nice to have the ability to do VPN, firewall filtering, wireless, and gigabit in a single device for less than $200.
MikroTik Cloud Router Switch CRS109-8G-1S-2HnD-IN
4.2 out of 5 stars, 30 customer reviews
- Product code CRS109-8G-1S-2HnD-IN
- CPU nominal frequency 600 MHz
- PoE in: Yes
- 8-Ports 10/100/1000 Ethernet
- Wireless standards 802, 11b/g/n
I am a big fan of Mikrotik routers because we ...
I am a big fan of Mikrotik routers because we use them extensively at work (1000+ units a years). Our distributor was out so I grabbed one from here. These devices perform at a professional level (not a home or small office junkie stuff from the Office Supply stores), and in the hands of a professional, they offer all sorts of features and diagnostic tools.
Mikrotik pro router for SOHO
The router was delivered on time, so thank you SIL MICRO. However as more people have already remarked, the LCD screen is not working well. In essence it is unusable. Having said that, I don't really use it anyway. But this seems like a production issue to me. I can return it, but I don't see the need.
The Router is definitively not a standard user router. It is complex and the manual and information is not entirely complete. This means that if you haven't used a router like this you will have to spend quite some time to learn all the intricacies of the device and OS.
Once you have it up and running it is a fast and efficient switch/router. With the logging features you are easily able to discover what is happening on your network(s) and verify the correct settings of the router. I already have found and solved networking issues because of it.
Always make sure to create a backup of the working configuration. It is easy to lock yourself out of the router.
Love mikrotik. got a bad lcd on mine
Do not buy these if you only have experience with consumer grade equipment like Linksys or netgear. You will be lost. If you're coming from pfsense, adtran, cisco (rack mount), Junos then you'll enjoy these for their price
We use these in the field by the hundreds. I really love the configuration options. This unit is perfect for home or small business use. I'd prefer rack mount but can't justify that many ports plus you lose the built in AP then. The only reason I give 4 stars is because the LCD was pressure damaged from install. It has a white glow coming fr the edges making it impossible to read. Granted, I could have probably easily swapped it hassle free, but being stock was limited I opted to replace the screen myself. (I do not recommended as you could easily damage the clips and ruin the shell holding the LCD if you brute force it). In reality you probably won't use the screen much if at all other than getting its initial IP.
Mikrotik Routerboard RB2011UiAS-2HnD-IN Sfp Port plus 10 Port Ethernet
4.4 out of 5 stars, 234 customer reviews
- Mikrotik RouterBOARD RB2011UiAS-2HnD-IN has most features and interfaces from all our Wireless routers
- Its powered by the new Atheros 600MHz 74K MIPS network processor, has 128MB RAM, five Gigabit LAN ports, five Fast Ethernet LAN ports and SFP cage
- Mikrotik RouterBOARD RB2011UiAS-2HnD-IN comes with desktop enclosure, LCD panel and power supply
- Operation mode AP, Client, WDS, Bridge
Great price and easy setup
So far have had no trouble with this switch at all. It was very easy to setup and have service through out my apt. I have to use it as hidden since we are not allowed a wireless router but the signal that is also broadcast does no interupt it at all. I have things connected both wired and wireless including a printer that I can even print from my iPhone and iPad. If you are looking for a switch for your home network this would be a good choice
802. 11b/g/n. Very programmable. Geared toward network-admins ...
802.11b/g/n. Very programmable. Geared toward network-admins and power-users, not end-users who just want a plug-n-play router. I would definitely buy it again, but my wish list would include 802.11ac and capability to replace external antennas with simple screw-on type.
So far so good
So far so good. I was impressed with the power/range of this router. I put it inside the metal Comms box in my house and it reduced the signal, but not appreciably. I will expose the antenna in the final installation, but as a test, I was impressed. The setup is pretty simple for your basic installation, but if you want to go further, you need to have a new vocabulary and some patience.
Mikrotik RouterBOARD hEX lite 5 ports router 5 X 10/100 PoE OSL4 - (RB750r2)
4.1 out of 5 stars, 30 customer reviews
- The RB750r2 (hEX lite) is a small five port ethernet router in a nice plastic case
- There simply is no choice when it comes to managing your wired home network, the RB750r2 (hEX lite) has it all
- Not only it’s affordable, small, good looking and easy to use - It’s probably the most affordable MPLS capable router on the market
- No more compromise between price and features - RB750r2 has both, With its compact design and clean looks, it will fit perfectly into any SOHO environment
- Box contains: RB750r2 in a plastic case, power supply
For those of you that don't know much about this ...
For those of you that don't know much about this little router it is an incredible device that will do everything you ever wanted to although it requires a very tech savvy person to configure. This can do a plug-and-play setup for a simple use, but it is designed more for the heavy user that wants to be able to customize 99% of the device. Most options are accessible through the GUI but a lot are accessible through the telnet console for example it will work as a load balancing multi wan device but you must set it up through the command line.
Great cheap router for techies
This is a really great product for the price, but it should be noted that it's PoE only in that it can be powered by an ethernet connection; unless I'm missing something, it does not appear to be able to power another device via PoE. RouterOS (the on-board operating system) offers many of the features of a far more expensive product for those who understand networking, and is configurable via command line (via ssh) or a surprisingly good web interface.
This is a great little wired only ethernet router ... but pass if you are not knowledgeable in networking ...
This is a great little wired only ethernet router ... but pass if you are not knowledgeable in networking or have a network admin friend to help you.
I bought this to replace an old Pentium 4 (yes P4) running a custom Linux firewall distribution. The old machine had a hardware failure, so I need something in the interim to replace it. I already use a Mikrotik wireless access point, so I figure it was a safe bet for the price. In a word, it's rock solid, it works, and I don't plan on replacing it. It only has 10/100 wired ethernet ports, which is fine in my scenario, but you may want to get the Mikrotik hEX (non - lite) version if you need 10/100/1000 ports.
Mikrotik hAP AC Lite RB952Ui-5ac2nD
4.5 out of 5 stars, 38 customer reviews
- The hAP ac lite is a Dual-concurrent Access Point, that provides Wifi coverage for 2, 4GHz and 5GHz frequencies at the same time
- Unit is equipped with a 650MHz CPU, 64MB RAM
- 5 x 10/100Mbps Ethernet ports (PoE output on port #5)
- Dual-chain 802, 11b/g/n 2, 4GHz wireless, single chain 802, 11ac 5GHz wireless, USB port for 3G/4G modem and a RouterOS L4 license
- We have two versions available - RB952Ui-5ac2nD (International) and RB952Ui-5ac2nD-US (USA), RB952Ui-5ac2nD-US (USA) is factory locked for 2412-2462MHz, 5170-5250MHz and 5725-5835MHz frequencies, This lock can not be removed, RB952Ui-5ac2nD (International) supports 2412-2484MHz and 5150MHz - 5875MHz range
Great value for its features and performance
There is a longer learning curve than other major brand home routers, but it is worthy.
The router is very stable. The RouterOS is so flexible that I can configure the 5ghz wlan interface as WiFi station which connect to another HAP AC( main router) to provide internet to wired network devices that don't have WiFi adapter. At the same time I use the 2ghz wlan as AP bridge to extend the WiFi network to the backyard.
Excellent product when compared to home routers
Excellent product when compared to home routers. Don't be intimidated, there is a quick setup configuration page that has all a home user needs on one web page when logging onto the device. Very easy to get up and running in the home environment. My old Netgear router was the limiting factor on my home network, this Mikrotik hAP Lite simply blows it away for 1/3 the price when new.
For power users
Very configurable. I was able to set up my own LAN that uses a shared wi-fi AP for internet access, but all my devices can be wired and behind this router's firewall, which configures more like an enterprise firewall or iptables than your typical "port forwarding". I'm satisfied, never buying Netgear again.
Mikrotik Wireless Wire RBwAPG-60ad kit 60 GHz wireless link 1 Gbit full duplex Link
5.0 out of 5 stars, 1 customer review
- The Wireless Wire is a ground breaking solution which offers fiber speed and quality for a fraction of the price
- This amazing kit replaces your Gigabit ethernet cable with two small devices that connect to each other over a 60 GHz wireless link
- Simply point the included devices at one another and power them on, it will make a 1 Gbit full duplex link to instantly replace your cable - this is why we call it the Wireless Wire!
- The Wireless Wire makes secure AES encrypted 60 GHz wireless link that is not affected by the crowded WiFi spectrum, offering a stable and fast link for distances of 100 meters or more, The box includes two wAP60G devices that are already paired together, a wall mounting kit, straps for pole mounting and also a pair of table stands for using the devices indoors, The link will even work through most windows, depending on their material
- License level -3, Size of RAM - 256 MB, Storage size - 16 MB, 1 x 10/100/1000 Ethernet ports, PoE in - 802, 3af/at, PoE in input Voltage - 12-57 V
great product 5 stars
i was having issues with a p2p link from my tower site to my house using nano stations it would drop out for 2 seconds than reconnect i changed out the cabling three times and both the routers than a geek friend sent me a link to these they were plug and play and work great too i remote control my hf rigs and dropping out in the middle of txing is not a good thing i joking told some one that these are so much faster i sounded like a auctioneer my words there that much faster they were plug and play the password and sn are inside the units just great products 5 stars
Mikro Tik RBSXT-5HPnD Routerboard OUTDOOR WIRELESS AP 802.11a/n
5.0 out of 5 stars, 2 customer reviews
- Typical setups: WISP CPE, wireless point 2 point bridge, DSL gateway, licence level 3, free upgrades to MikroTik RouterOS version 6, x
- licence never expires, licence valid for one installation, unlimited number of interfaces, support for wireless station/client and point 2 point setups (no accesspoint)
- enhanced WIFI performace with MikroTik Nstreme and MikroTik Nv2 with TDMA support, RIP and OSPF and BGP* support (* no BGP on i386 version), 1 EoIP tunnel, 1 PPPoE tunnel, 1 PPTP tunnel, 1 L2TP tunnel, 1 OVPN tunnel
- 1 VLAN interface, 1 active hotspot user, up to 10 active MikroTik Usermanager sessions
Mikrotik RB941-2nD-TC hAP Lite 32MB 4 X 10/100 2.4Ghz 802.11b/g/n 2x2 OSL4
4.4 out of 5 stars, 64 customer reviews
- The home Access Point lite (hAP lite) is an ideal little device for your apartment, house or office
- It supports button triggered WPS, for the convenience of not typing a complicated password when somebody wants to have wireless internet access, and can also be told to change to cAP mode and join a CAPsMAN centrally managed network by the push of a button
- Of course, the device runs RouterOS with all the features, bandwidth shaping, firewall, user access control and many others
- The hAP lite is equipped with a powerful 650MHz CPU, 32MB RAM, dual chain 2, 4GHz onboard wireless, four Fast Ethernet ports and a RouterOS L4 license, USB power supply is included
- Wireless standards: 802, 11b/g/n
Absolutely great router.
Absolutely great router .....nothing more to say
Configuration options on this router are phenomenal once you get the hang of it
This device has a little bit of a steep learning curve but once you get the hang of it you will never go back
I own about 100 of these and use them in customer houses and so far i had not a single dead one
only thing that kinda annoys me is that the lights are in the back instead of the front and the micro usb port that supplies the power is a bad idea since it is easily broken off
Firmware updates are a breeze ...click and wait
Excellent deal, tricky setup
I setup a couple desktops in a corner of the house without ethernet. I configured this router as a wireless bridge, following the directions on the Mikrotik wiki (under "Connect to an Available Wireless Network"), and connected to my Asus RT-N66R -- first try!
The modem doesn't seem like much, little more than some plastic and four ethernet ports.
Warning: more difficult to set up than most routers... this isn't your momma's Netgear. The operating system is very powerful; if you have the patience and some technical know-how, you can do almost anything.
Mikrotik beats all the other "retail" routers out of the ...
Mikrotik beats all the other "retail" routers out of the water, using the CAPsMAN to control this and a main router (for wireless coverage) and flawless! Only competition is extreme high-end Cisco and such.