Top 5 3D Printers of 2018
Still printing in 2D? That's so 1980.
Did you know that 3D printing was introduced as early as 1981? A japanese guy named Hideo Kodama of Nagoya Municipal Industrial Research Institute invented two additive methods for fabricating three-dimensional plastic models with photo-hardening thermoset polymer, where the UV exposure area is controlled by a mask pattern or a scanning fiber transmitter.
And almost 40 years later you can get one of those for dirt cheap and print yourself anything from D&D dice to prosthetic vampire teeth at the comfort of your home. Take that, China!
Here are the top 5 3D printers you can get today.
1. Sindoh 3DWOX DP200 3D Printer
4.8 out of 5 stars, 113 customer reviews
2. GIANTARM® 3D Printer Mecreator 2 Assembled household and office Desktop 3D printer with Strong Metal Frame Support multi-filament
3.9 out of 5 stars, 37 customer reviews
This is my second printer. My first was a kit build and I like it but this time I wanted something a little more solid and prebuilt.
The MeCreator 2 is really impressive. I was able to take it out and start printing pretty easily. I have only had it a few days but all my prints so far have come out pretty great. I used the settings recommended Slic3r settings in the manual and it has worked out fine. I do still need to tweak the retraction settings but shouldn't be to much of an issue.
I attached a picture of a 3DBenchy printed in wood filled PLA.
Came out pretty nice with a little bit of stringing but that is to be expected with this particular wood fill.
I will update if anything new comes up but for now I am pretty pleased with this little printer.
Update: I printed the "I Love You Box" off thingiverse and it came out great. Video uploaded.
Great printer at a great price
I have been using my printer for over a year and have put hundreds of hours on it. It's been very reliable.
It took only minor adjustments out of the box to get excellent high quality prints.
Once I replaced the noisy electronics cooling fan with a quiet fan it's a very quiet printer.
It's also easy to add a glass top for easy cleaning
I would highly recommend this printer to someone looking to get into 3dprinting without spending thousands. With a little tweaking you can get prints every bit as good as any other desktop 3d printer
3. FlashForge 3D Printers, New Model: Finder
4.3 out of 5 stars, 251 customer reviews
- Slide-in build plate allows printed objects to be easily removed
- 3, 5-Inch full color touchscreen with intuitive icons makes for easy operation
- Sturdy, plastic alloy construction ensures stable prints
- Safe, non-heated build plate
- Wi-Fi, usb and flash drive connectivity
Awesome printer! I have been enjoying it for the ...
Awesome printer! I have been enjoying it for the past two months and I only encountered 1 failed print and it was my error. A tip for anyone using this printer: Do not use tape or glue to stop warping. Use hairspray....yes hairspray. I use Aqua Net super hold spray, it keeps the print bed clean and it holds the print extremely well.
4. LulzBot TAZ 6 3D Printer
4.3 out of 5 stars, 75 customer reviews
I love this machine
I love this machine, it is very fun to print with especially with all the different tool heads you can attach. One of the tool heads has a 1.2m nozzle, thats pretty fun and fast. Only thing I don't like is that the build plate is so good at sticking i sometimes feel like i'm going to damage the machine removing prints, Better then not sticking to the build plate for sure, and this thing is a beast! you could probably build a whole helmet in one build. I have had lots of fun with it so far without any problems. knock on wood!
Best 3D printer I have yet to own. Support is phenomenal!
I can't say enough good things about the Lulzbot TAZ 6. As a 3D printer enthusiast/hacker/printer I love the flexibility of this printer. I have gone ahead and mounted a dedicated Raspberry Pi 3 running OctoPi (Octoprint.org) and a Raspberry Pi Camera V2 which is on a custom printed mount attached to the Z-axis. I also added one
Lemonbest 2m Resin Flexible USB LED Lights Strip Ribbon 3528smd 120leds 5V Waterproof Cool White
which provides ample and beautiful lighting to the printer. Attached is a photo of my TAZ 6 with my modifications. As well, here is a link to my imgur post which has more detailed information about my aftermarket modifications - [...]
Only other thing I want to touch on is the support - you won't get better support with any other 3D printer company (at least in my experience)!
5. FlashForge 3D Printer Creator Pro, Metal Frame Structure, Acrylic Covers, Optimized Build Platform, Dual Extruder W/2 Spools, Works with ABS and PLA
4.6 out of 5 stars, 836 customer reviews
- Full manufacturer's warranty fulfilled by Flashforge, and lifetime support provided by expert FlashForge technicians
- A sturdy metal frame that is substantially more stable than the Creator's original wood frame
- Aviation level aluminum plate with a thickness of 6, 3mm guarantee its surface is completely flat and will not warp during heating process
- Metal platform support plus 10mm guide rod ensure a precise Z axis movement and prevent platform arm from deforming
- Enclosed chamber insulates and protects ABS prints